WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: Pitch Pine Sunk. .next step
Posted by: Michael Lowrey ()
Date: June 13, 2003 01:54AM

<HTML>John,

Sure, you can figure out which vessel was sunk by which U-boat.

Only one study has ever been down matching German sinking claims and submarine operations against Allied and neutral merchant ship losses in World War I. It's by Admiral Arno Spindler and is in five volumes. It's called "Handelskrieg mit U-Boote" and is part of the "Krieg zur See" series.

Spindler's work is long out of print. It is difficult and expensive to obtain on the used book market (volumes 1 through 3, which will get you through January 1917 are the easiest to obtain -- and have even been translated into French and, I think, English). Volume 4 (Feb 1917 - Dec 1917) and Volume 5 (1918) are very rare indeed.

Luckily, two books by Harald Bendert, one on UB and one on UC boats, contain much on the same material and are in print. Unlike the first four volumes of Spindler, it even has an index!

If you obtain assess to these work, you can get the answer.

What several people on this forum have done is taken the attributions from Spindler/Bendert and the loss information from Lloyd's and put them into a data base (7,000+ entries in the one Yves D and I are working but we include ships damaged and taken as prizes). If you want, I can look up the vessel I my data base.

Best wishes,

Michael</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Pitch Pine Sunk. .next step John McGuire 06/13/2003 12:07AM
Re: Pitch Pine Sunk. .next step Michael Lowrey 06/13/2003 01:54AM
Re: Pitch Pine Sunk. .next step John McGuire 06/13/2003 11:42AM
Re: Pitch Pine Sunk. .next step Michael Lowrey 06/13/2003 01:29PM
Re: Pitch Pine Sunk. .next step Peter Lindberg 06/13/2003 05:52AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.