WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
UB-59 war diary questions
Posted by: William Grant ()
Date: July 24, 2003 09:01PM

<HTML>Hello im back with more questions about WW1 Submarine UB-59. I recieved a copy of ub-59's war diary today and it gives the exact details of the sinking of the S.S South Western which my Great grand father served on and was killed when the vessel was torpedoed.

My first question is: The diary says that the first attack on S.S South Western was on the 16/03/1918 at 11.45pm, the sub had to fire from behind, would this mean firing from the rear of the sub...or firing at the rear of the target as the S.S South Western was zig zagging?? This first attack was unsuccessfull as the torpedoe detonated after 2 minutes on the seabed.

Second question: UB-59 attacked an hour later and was successfull on its second attack...but why would they have waited an hour, before attacking again?? Would it have taken an hour to reload the torpedoes or could the weather have had something to do with it?? I find it strange that the sub would hang around after its first attack failed, especially as the South Western was armed and also carried a radio, from which they could have called for help???

And my final question, would the submarine have picked up survivours, the S.S South Western took 20 minutes to sink, giving the crew lucky enough to survive the explosion, time to abandon ship and what would have been done to the survivors once in the hands of the German submarine commander??

many thanks
William Grant</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
UB-59 war diary questions William Grant 07/24/2003 09:01PM
Re: UB-59 war diary questions Michael Lowrey 07/24/2003 10:24PM
Re: UB-59 war diary questions Oliver Lörscher 07/25/2003 07:36AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.