WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Whitby hero.
Posted by: Stephen Todd ()
Date: October 05, 2003 05:19PM

<HTML>
Hi,
I am trying to identify a Uboat sunk in W.W.1.My interest began while on holiday in Whitby It was1966 during a certain football match between familiar opponents!My younger sister and I were left with my grandmother while the adults went off elsewhere to watch the game.Aged seven and from over the border I wasnt captivated by the history being made on the TV.
My interest was in the two old photographs on display in the wall unit.They were of two men in their naval uniforms.I asked who they were.
The first was my grandfather and he had been torpedoed three times in the one day!
The second was my grandmothers brother and he had sunk a submarine singlehanded!!!
Even at my age I thought this was a bit far fetched.However my grandfather and two brothers served on HMS Hogue,so she wasnt far out.
Many years later my aunt sent me a copied extract from the Whitby Gazette of 26th July 1918.It was titled "Fighting The Submarine"[A Whitby Sailors Pluck].It described my great uncle,Gunner Robert Dryden and his fight with a Uboat.He was serving on a small armed merchantman and soon he was the only man not dead or wounded.The article describes the Uboat approaching assuming the vessel was theirs for the taking as her gun no longer fired.In actual fact the gun was out of ammo and gunner Dryden on returning from below with more found the submarine too close and not enough time to reload.There were hand bombs amongst the ammo and he hurled this at the submarine[possibly down the conning tower]causing her to sink.He took three prisoners and eventually reached port under tow.
The story of this fight is again told in Dora Walkers book "Freemen of the Sea".She mentions the action having taken place near Whitby and on board an oiler bound for Newcastle from London.
I have done some research including service records and various publications on Uboat losses.So far to no avail.From Robert Drydens service record [poor copy]it states he was mentioned in despatches,London Gazette 23rdMarch1917.
From the information I have I believe there is a case for pursuing the truth.
I hope someone can help no matter how small.
P.S. I am a fisherman so I may not always be prompt in reply.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Whitby hero. Stephen Todd 10/05/2003 05:19PM
Re: Whitby hero. Michael Lowrey 10/05/2003 10:03PM
Re: Whitby hero. Yves D 10/06/2003 05:30AM
Re: Whitby hero. Alemap 10/06/2003 04:40PM
Re: Whitby hero. Stephen Todd 10/06/2003 06:30PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.