WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: Whitby hero.
Posted by: Stephen Todd ()
Date: October 06, 2003 06:30PM

<HTML> Thankyou all very much for your help.I have looked over Robert Dryden's service record again and hope that the following may narrow down the search.It is a very poor copy.After the outbreak of war he served with the RND at Antwerp and then on board the auxillary cruisers Cedric and Teutonic.He was discharged from the latter 29.12.16.After this date his depot or ship from which discharged is Vivid,discharged 23.1.17;2S or OS or QS,discharged 24.2.17;Vivid,discharged13.5.17 and President 111,discharged20.2.19.I believe Vivid and President were Naval shore establishments for DEMS gunners.In the remarks column there is,Mentioned in Despatches,23.3.17.On the 13.8.17 awarded C?CB.8.8.18 credited £1/6/? salvage of SS ?????.Also included with the record are two newspaper cuttings.One from the Daily Mail dated 23.9.18.The headline reads "Boarding Pirates",[How Gunner Saved His Ship.]The other from the Daily Mirror,reads "RNR Hero".I have only been able to decipher parts of the texts.The Mail acknowledges the story as coming from the Whitby Gazette.There are three payments of Naval Prize Money from 1920 until1923.My hunch is that the salvage of the SS ????? is the key.Our gallant hero back with the Merchant Navy jumped ship in Australia in 1922.I do not think there was any contact after that.Any help gratefully appreciated.Stephen.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Whitby hero. Stephen Todd 10/05/2003 05:19PM
Re: Whitby hero. Michael Lowrey 10/05/2003 10:03PM
Re: Whitby hero. Yves D 10/06/2003 05:30AM
Re: Whitby hero. Alemap 10/06/2003 04:40PM
Re: Whitby hero. Stephen Todd 10/06/2003 06:30PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.