WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: Lusitania
Posted by: phil cullen ()
Date: October 27, 2003 08:21AM

<HTML>hello there,

This is one of the most problematic questions regarding the war at sea in 1914-18.

All experts agree that the speed that which such a large vessel sunk was very unusual. We must remmber that the topedoes of the day were not anything like the highly effective weapons of today and a huge hole in the hull was the result and the reason why the ship went down so fast.

Therefore the question that begs to be asked is how could a hole of that size been caused? In the past experts thought it could well have been an explosion on board caused by the detonation of high explosive shells and gun powder being carried on board.

However, it appears that that was not in fact the case, she was transporting shell cases but they were not armed. so what caused the internal explosion?.

The vessel was a steam ship and burnt massive amounts of coal to feed her boilers. she had just crossed the atlantic and her coal bunkers would have been depleted. On a vessel of this size the bunkers would have been massive and methane gas ch4 would have built up as a matter of course in the top of theses partly empty bunkers and it was this that exploded being ignited by the topedo.

Divers have confermed that the hole is situated in the areas of the ship where the bunkers were.

regards
phil cullenPeriscope Pete wrote:
>
> Hi guys.
>
> I will begin by apologising.
> The question I am about to ask may have been debated before.
>
> The 1915 Lusitania sinking.
>
> I heard that the U-boat captain opened fire becaus ehe
> believd the Lusitania to be carrying muntions for the British
> army.
> The Captain only launched one torpedo (so I heard) which
> finished the big ship off.
>
> Was Lusitania carrying munitions?
> Was the U-boat Captain justified in opening fire?</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Lusitania Periscope Pete 10/26/2003 08:41PM
Re: Lusitania phil cullen 10/27/2003 08:21AM
Re: Lusitania Brian 10/28/2003 12:06AM
Re: Lusitania phil cullen 10/28/2003 07:36AM
Re: Lusitania Ron 10/29/2003 04:09PM
Re: Lusitania john 10/30/2003 06:41PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.