WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: U.S. ships lost
Posted by: Rodney Carlisle ()
Date: September 25, 2007 07:28PM

Michael
Yes, I thought much of the info on the Merchant Marine list was inaccurate or superseded. Thanks for checking those other ships for me.

As I mentioned earlier, your guess about Healdton seems very probable, for many reasons. (attack was at night, ship was headed to Rotterdam, loss occurred right on minefield #21,etc.) The only things that are difficult to dismiss are the fact that the captain of Healdton reported seeing a submarine surface immediately after two detonations, and the fact that there were two detonations. I understand that sometimes mines went off in a chain reaction, so that might explain the two detonations. (or, considering it was a loaded tanker, there might have been an internal explosion). However, the sighting of the submarine is difficult to account for. I note on the map that "Weg Gelb" one of the routes out for U-boats also intersected minefield 21, very close to the point of detonation. Would it have been possible for a U-boat to be coming or going through Weg Gelb, to have observed the Healdton on fire and sinking, and to have been spotted by the captain of Healdton? Would such a U-boat necessarily have included the witnessing of the event in the report? Since the commander of the Uboat would not be taking credit for such a loss, it might not have made it into the summary in Der Handelskrieg mit U-Booten, or in the Nordsee volume. Anyway, those are my thoughts and questions I am trying to think through. Any comment/

Rodney

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U.S. ships lost Rodney Carlisle 09/25/2007 02:41PM
Re: U.S. ships lost Michael Lowrey 09/25/2007 05:41PM
Re: U.S. ships lost Rodney Carlisle 09/25/2007 07:28PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.