WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
HMS Danae and the sinking of a uboat
Posted by: gary rogers ()
Date: November 08, 2007 01:58PM

My grandfather was a petty officer on the HMS Danae during WW1. He died 17 years ago. I heard a story from my cousin recently that was told him by my grandfather, as follows, and I am trying to investigate it. Any help gratefully received.
They came across a "ghost" ship, and eventually found a single survivor, hiding behind one of the boilers in the engine room. His story was that he was the only survivor after his ship had been attacked and stopped by a uboat. The uboat had machine gunned the decks.
Some months later the Danae forced a uboat to the surface with depth charges, and it was noted to be the same uboat from the episode with the ghost ship. My grandfather was ordered to stand to attention, and hold a salute, as the uboat sailors were machine gunned. In retaliation.
An interesting story, but I can't find any confirmation anywhere. I believe he only served on the Danae.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
HMS Danae and the sinking of a uboat gary rogers 11/08/2007 01:58PM
Re: HMS Danae and the sinking of a uboat Michael Lowrey 11/08/2007 03:39PM
Re: HMS Danae and the sinking of a uboat DavidH 11/08/2007 03:43PM
Re: HMS Danae and the sinking of a uboat garyrogers 11/14/2007 04:20PM
Re: HMS Danae and the sinking of a uboat MPC 11/08/2007 07:45PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.