WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: U-Boat making Landfall on Islay, Hebrides
Posted by: Yves D ()
Date: October 13, 2008 08:35PM

Ufo

It is not a silly question and this account reminded me a story I had read somewhere. And I found it (at least one of them if several landfall occured).
F.T Arnold Fischdick was on board U 90 and after the war he published his story. On one occasion, he describes a landfall on Rona by 2 crews (Lt z.S. Weidemann and obermaat Ahrend) on board the dinghy and they came back with bird eggs and a lamb. The date is not indicated but on the next page, Fischdick accounts the gunfire action against the radio station of St Kilda and this action is reported by Admiral Spindler (Der Handelskrieg mit U-Booten) as having occured on May 15th, 1918. So we can suppose that the landfall took place probably the same day or the day before.
At the time U 90 was captained by Kplt Walter Remy who later took over command of U 137,an U-cruiser never completed due to the end of the war.
Walter Remy survived the war as well as U 90. I have no idea of what he did later when retiring from the Kaiserlichemarine in 1919. During his career in WW1 he commanded U 24 prior to U 90 and in both cases he performed war patrols around Scotland through Orkneys and Shetlands.
Seemingly he was not reactivated in WW2 and died in 1965.
This story could be that one you are looking for.

Best regards
Yves

www.histomar.net

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-Boat making Landfall on Islay, Hebrides Ufo 10/13/2008 03:13PM
Re: U-Boat making Landfall on Islay, Hebrides Yves D 10/13/2008 08:35PM
Re: U-Boat making Landfall on Islay, Hebrides Ufo 10/14/2008 01:30PM
Re: U-Boat making Landfall on Islay, Hebrides Oliver Lörscher 10/14/2008 05:28PM
Re: U-Boat making Landfall on Islay, Hebrides Yves D 10/14/2008 08:59PM
Re: U-Boat making Landfall on Islay, Hebrides ufo 10/15/2008 12:49PM
Re: U-Boat making Landfall on Islay, Hebrides Oliver Lörscher 10/15/2008 04:58PM
Re: U-Boat making Landfall on Islay, Hebrides Ufo 10/23/2008 09:55AM
Re: U-Boat making Landfall on Islay, Hebrides STUART GEMMELL 02/16/2013 08:51PM
Re: U-Boat making Landfall on Islay, Hebrides farspach 01/23/2009 10:07PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.