WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: U-boats that attacked my Great uncles convoy
Posted by: TomM ()
Date: April 23, 2011 06:10AM

Here is the relevent section:

"Was in Co. H, 352 Infantry, 88 Division where we were drilled and got vaccinated. Stayed there about two weeks, and then we were shipped to Camp Travis, Texas near San Antonio where I got into Co. A, 357 Infantry, 90 Division. Drilled there too and also went out to the rifle range for a week where we had target practice. We left there the 10th of June for Camp Mills, New York and stayed there until the 20th of June when we got aboard the ship S.S. Delta, an English boat, for overseas and when we had been four days at sea there got something the matter with our ship. So we had to turn back, and we went to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Took in one show in a big theatre in this city, and laid in the harbour until evening of the 4th of July when we set sail again.

There were 13 troopships, one cruiser in our convoy and six sub chasers and one airship followed us until sometime that night when they returned back to Halifax. Nothing of much excitement happened on the trip over until we reached the coast of Ireland when we ran into two German submarines and one of them shot a torpedo which hit the ship right back of ours, but the sub chasers had already met us from the other side so they dropped 5 depth bombs at them and claim they hit them so they sunk. The ship that got hit left us then as they speeded up and when we reached Liverpool, England it had sunk right at the dock. No lives were lost, but the soldiers lost half of their barracks bags.

Then after we landed at Liverpool, England we boarded on English train, but did not see very much of England as we were mostly traveling underground in tunnels and then we arrived at Winchester, England and we left the train and took a bath in a Y.M.C.A swimming pool and was the water cold and after that we got on another train with more tunnels all the way until we arrived at Southampton, England and we stayed there until just before dark."

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-boats that attacked my Great uncles convoy TomM 04/23/2011 06:05AM
Re: U-boats that attacked my Great uncles convoy TomM 04/23/2011 06:10AM
Re: U-boats that attacked my Great uncles convoy Oliver Lörscher 04/23/2011 09:59AM
Re: U-boats that attacked my Great uncles convoy TomM 04/23/2011 08:00PM
Re: U-boats that attacked my Great uncles convoy Oliver Lörscher 04/26/2011 09:18PM
Re: U-boats that attacked my Great uncles convoy TomM 05/07/2011 04:42AM
Re: U-boats that attacked my Great uncles convoy Oliver Lörscher 05/08/2011 08:55AM
Re: U-boats that attacked my Great uncles convoy TomM 05/09/2011 04:24AM
Re: U-boats that attacked my Great uncles convoy Oliver Lörscher 05/09/2011 06:48AM
Re: U-boats that attacked my Great uncles convoy Felix C 08/16/2014 11:44PM
Re: U-boats that attacked my Great uncles convoy Oliver Lörscher 08/19/2014 08:41PM
Re: U-boats that attacked my Great uncles convoy Felix C 08/20/2014 12:03AM
Re: U-boats that attacked my Great uncles convoy Oliver Lörscher 08/23/2014 10:46AM
Re: U-boats that attacked my Great uncles convoy Deryck Swetnam 05/11/2011 10:56AM
Re: U-boats that attacked my Great uncles convoy TomM 05/11/2011 07:20PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.