WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Buoys and UC 61
Posted by: chrisheal ()
Date: June 20, 2016 01:01PM

I am tracking the last hours of UC 61 which stranded on Wissant beach, south of Calais, at 0420 on Thursday 26 July 1917.

Around 0200 that morning, UC 61 passed unseen by a French patrol boat in dense fog (brume opaque) near Cap Gris Nez as she groped her way to open sea (Guichard, Louis, Au Large (1914-1918) [La Renaissance du Livre, Paris 1919]), pp 135-38. Guichard wrote that he and his crew heard German voices 'two miles to the north of Buoy 4 (bouée 4)': 'Une voix rauque s’élève et lance un commandement dans lequel je distingue nettement les syllabes << rechts >> et << auf >>': 'A hoarse voice cries out a command in which I distinguish clearly the words 'right' and 'left'.'

It would be very helpful to my plot if I could place Buoy 4 on a chart. UC 61's commander, Georg Gerth, also used buoy numbers (5, 2501 - near Zeebrugge) in his KTB to describe his position.

I have had a good look through various books that carry maps of channel net barrages and minefields, but cannot find anything to help me. There must be a master chart somewhere. Can anyone help me?

Many thanks
Chris Heal

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Buoys and UC 61 chrisheal 06/20/2016 01:01PM
Re: Buoys and UC 61 chrisheal 06/25/2016 08:45AM
Re: Buoys and UC 61 chrisheal 06/28/2016 05:23PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.