WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Norwegian steamship sunk off Mallorca by unknown U-boat
Posted by: Jan Ström ()
Date: February 21, 2021 10:18PM

Going through the Norwegian publications of 'Sea declarations' after ship losses for WWI, I have come across a U-boat sinking in the Mediterranean in 1916 that is missing (as far as I can see) in the listing on uboat.net.
The 'Sea declaration' is a very detailed report of the sinking, and witnesses are very clear on the German nationality of the sub (refering to flag as well as uniforms). It also follows very closely the Modus operandi of other sinkings.

The Norwegian steamer lost was the BUFJORD, built in 1888, 2284 gross reg ton, sunk in the morning of September 24, 1916, off Mallorca en route from Blyth to Genua with coal. U-boat stopped the BUFJORD, checked documents, ordered crew to lifeboats, and so on. No casualties. Sunk by gunfire, eight shots. The U-boat disappeared to the NE, the life boats was rowed into the port of Banyalbufar on Mallorca.

Is there any record that I am unaware of that can clarify which U-boat, captain etcetera? Or any other explanation?

Jan

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Norwegian steamship sunk off Mallorca by unknown U-boat Jan Ström 02/21/2021 10:18PM
Re: Norwegian steamship sunk off Mallorca by unknown U-boat Jan Ström 02/21/2021 10:25PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.