WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
U35 log book
Posted by: Clive Bull ()
Date: April 12, 2022 05:28AM

My Great Uncle, Frank Jones, drowned when his ship, SS Sowwell, was sunk by U35 on 19 April 1917. At the time of his death he was only 15. Unusually for Lothar von Arnauld de la Perière, who claimed to have only fired six torpedoes during his career, SS Sowwell was sunk by a torpedo without any prior warning.
I am very keen to get hold of the log of U35 (original or translated into English) for the Mar/May voyage or just 19 April, to see if there is an explanation for why it was decided to use torpedoes rather than the ship’s gun. His parents were told, according to family legend, that Frank survived the sinking and was put onto some wreckage by another sailor. But, I understand that d as he was lost with all hands, so this is unlikely. The log might have some clarity about this.
I’ve watched the film about the voyage but the sinking of the SS Sowwell doesn’t feature.
Thank you for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U35 log book Clive Bull 04/12/2022 05:28AM
Re: U35 log book Simon Schnetzke 04/12/2022 06:27PM
Re: U35 log book Clive Bull 04/12/2022 07:49PM
Re: U35 log book Simon Schnetzke 04/12/2022 08:00PM
Re: U35 log book Clive Bull 04/30/2022 07:19AM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.