General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-Boat Clock - best way to sell?
Posted by: terry_brown ()
Date: September 10, 2012 01:49PM

hi all,

apologies if I'm mis-posting here, I've been tasked by my mother to find out about possible means of selling a u-boat clock that we've had since world war 2.

You can see pictures of it at:
[www.flickr.com]

Some background to it:

My grandfather was based in the army (mum doesn't know which unit), and post war apparently they were stripping these boats down and he was with some American soldiers on this particular boat and they all took a little something as a keepsake.

My grandfather naturally got this clock - when they first got it it was brass, though the family had in the past painted it. We had it cleaned many years ago now, and it remains brass and is cleaned by mum periodically.

There is a number on the back of the clock (as shown in the picture) - 4734, which I'm led to believe could give some indication as to the age of the clock, but not unfortunately which boat it was actually based upon.

The clock is an 8 day clock and still in perfect working order (it's the clock they currently use in the kitchen).

This is the extent of the records I have unfortunately.

Mum and Dad are getting on now, and don't have any great sentimental attachment to it, so are keen to look at selling it, though when I look around the web I am unable to identify any real location best to sell it - it feels wrong to sell this sort of thing on ebay, so I wondered if the members here could help me two fold:
1) can you give any sort of indication of price etc.? I've seen anything from £500 up to £3000 mentioned, yet I have no idea what constitutes the vast range difference
2) can folks suggest the best means of selling this sort of thing?

I guess it's a question that's been asked time and again on these forums, so it's something I'd hope you guys could help with.

Many thanks for your time,
Terry

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-Boat Clock - best way to sell? terry_brown 09/10/2012 01:49PM
Re: U-Boat Clock - best way to sell? Mark McShane 09/10/2012 02:32PM
Re: U-Boat Clock - best way to sell? terry_brown 09/10/2012 03:01PM
Re: U-Boat Clock - best way to sell? Mrs. Hildegard Woods 06/18/2014 06:36PM
Re: U-Boat Clock - best way to sell? Hildegard Woods 06/23/2014 03:48PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.