General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Patrol classification
Posted by: jcrt ()
Date: November 03, 2020 03:36PM

Hi Regarding how the total days U-boats spend at sea dictate to what are calculated, then recorded as a war patrol. I cannot in some cases follow how this worked out. I refer to the following two U-boats as examples. U376 sailed on 26.01.1943 returned on 28.01.1943, despite being only three days it is recorded as her 6th war patrol. She re-sailed after only two days on 30.01.1943 to return on 13.03.1943 this recorded as her 7th war patrol. However U590 sailed on 31.03.1943 returned on 11.02.1943, twelve days out. She had her diesel faults repaired then after eleven days re-sailed on 22.02.1943 to return on 12.04.1943, the full period from January 31st until April 12th she is recorded as being only her 4th war patrol.
It would seem it depends on the individual researcher how to interpret the original German data, as shown in these two examples, some sources have recorded as explained, while another [Wynn] for U590 does not record her sailing on January 31st at all. Any input most welcome to aid while I update my files. John

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Patrol classification jcrt 11/03/2020 03:36PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.