General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Kptlt. Goodboe picture
Posted by: Jeff ()
Date: January 03, 2001 04:57PM

<HTML>Sorry to all of those who have requested info. on the Guyhardt Goodboe photo that I posted some months ago. I am afraid with the rush of the holidays, I have gotten behind.The responses have been overwhelming coming not only from this web page, but by telephone and hand-written requests as well. Here is some background info. on this unique and fascinating U-boat personality.

Goodboe actually began his career in the Luftwaffe as a JU-87 pilot. He was shot down the first day of the war during, what is believed to have been, the first encounter with the Polish Air Force. Later he commanded a He 111 bomber during the Battle of Britain where, unfortunately, he was again shot down...crashing his aircraft near the cliffs of Dover. There, he and his crew, were rescued by a U-boat and it was during the trip back to Germany that Goodboe fell in love with the idea of commanding a U-boat. After his return to Germany, he asked for and recieved transfer to the Kriegsmarine.

He served briefly in the minesweeper forces in Cuxhaven before getting his desired transfer to the Ubootwaffen. He served onboard Otto Kretschmer\'s fabled U99, but unfortunately, chronic bouts of seasickness kept him from duty most of the time and luckily kept him from U99 fatal last voyage.

Goodboe was given a desk job with the BdU where he excelled for most of the war. At the start of 1944 with his dream of U-boat commandership seemingly lost, Goodboe was plucked from his relatively obscurity and sent to commander\'s school in the desperate days of the Reich.

After finishing towards the bottom of his class, he served as a commander-in- training aboard U995 (Hess) before recieving his own command. But the fates were not on his side. Goodboe was immediately so disliked by the newly assembled crew that he was relieved of his brief command just three days later. Allegations of his basic lack of seamanship skills and a gigantic ego seemed to have been his downfall. He was mysteriously killed a day later by a stray bullet to the head. Members of the crew were suspect, but nothing further ever came of the incident. The production order for his boat - U4737 (a Type XXIII)
was canceled later that same week.

I am unsure as to why the Guyhardt Goodboe oddity has never come to light until now, but I believe it was because of his short stint as commander that he does not make it into the history books.

As for the picture that I have of him, yes it is signed by Goodboe (It was a present for his wife) I happened upon it in an old military antique shop near San Jose, Ca. a few years ago. The research on it has taken sometime.

I regret that I am unable to scan it for anyone...I do not own a scanner.

Harolds, if you see this message, I have too many cash offers for the picture to trade with you now. But if you are still interested, let me know. I will post notice on this site when I sell the photo.

Good luck and good hunting! Jeff</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Kptlt. Goodboe picture Jeff 01/03/2001 04:57PM
RE: Kptlt. Goodboe picture Stephan 01/04/2001 01:24AM
RE: Kptlt. Goodboe picture Harolds 01/04/2001 11:04AM
RE: Kptlt. Goodboe picture Guy Wagner 01/05/2001 02:15AM
RE: Kptlt. Goodboe picture Fin Bonset 01/05/2001 02:09PM
RE: Kptlt. Goodboe picture Sam 01/05/2001 03:26PM
RE: Kptlt. Goodboe picture Sam 01/06/2001 05:38PM
RE: Kptlt. Goodboe picture Willy 01/05/2001 03:42PM
RE: Kptlt. Goodboe picture Ying 01/06/2001 08:44AM
RE: Kptlt. Goodboe picture Willy 01/08/2001 02:23AM
RE:KL Goodboe Photo SOLD!!!! Jeff 01/07/2001 05:35AM
RE:KL Goodboe Photo SOLD!!!! Harolds 01/07/2001 10:56PM
RE:KL Goodboe Photo SOLD!!!! Guy Wagner 01/08/2001 03:37AM
RE:KL Goodboe Photo SOLD!!!! Harolds 01/08/2001 04:28PM
RE: Kptlt. Goodboe picture Hmmmmm Erick 01/05/2001 04:07PM
RE: Kptlt. Goodboe picture Hmmmmm Dakota 01/06/2001 04:42PM
RE: Kptlt. Goodboe picture I smell a rat Derick 01/08/2001 04:35PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.