General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: identify a uniform
Posted by: Charlie Rothe ()
Date: January 07, 2001 12:15AM

<HTML>Mike,
Thanks for responding. I don\'t suppose there is a chance in hell that there is a record of the names of those serving on U-1, 2, 3, or 4 . I know he left the navy in 1910 but I\'m not sure of when he went in, it could have been as early as1905 or 06\' He was 20 years old on 1907.
Thanks again
Charlie Rothe
Upstate, New York

Michael Lowrey wrote:
-------------------------------
Charlie,

Based on the service dates you mentioned, service in \\\"torpedo boats\\\" (what in other navies were called destroyers) would be much more likely than service on an U-boat. This is especially true in earlier part of the time period. The German Navy was rather late in introducing U-boats (bizarre sounding as that may be). U 1 was launched in 1906 (crew size: 12), U 2 followed in 1908 (crew size: 22), with U 3 and U 4 being launched in 1909 (crew size: 22). Only in 1910 did the U-boat force begin to amount to anything, when seven more boats were launched, each with a crew size of about 29. By comparison, the German navy was building 12 \\\"Hochseetorpedoboots\\\" (essentially destroyers) a year. The V150, which was launched in 1907, had a complment of 84.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
identify a uniform Charlie 01/06/2001 05:04PM
RE: identify a uniform Michael Lowrey 01/06/2001 11:04PM
RE: identify a uniform Charlie Rothe 01/07/2001 12:15AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.