General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: U Boat Groupes
Posted by: Ken Dunn ()
Date: January 10, 2001 02:42PM

<HTML>Hi Willy,

It is my understanding that @#$%& was asked to be a consultant for U-571 but When they saw the story, they refused.

I know that they do act as consultants for documentaries and magizines and I have seen their Executive Director, @#$%& on the History Channel as one of the consultants for a documentary about (if I remember correctly) U-boats or the U-boat war, etc. I think they rely on their advisory board and some of their U-boat veteran members for U-boat expertise.

From their web site www.@#$%&.com:

@#$%& ADVISORY BOARD

JAMES KLINE - Historian

GERHARD RICHTER - Radioman on U-81 when they sank the aircraft carrier HMS ARK ROYAL

CPO CHRIS WILLS - currently serving USCG

REAR ADMIRAL EUGENE FLUCKEY - Skipper of the USS BARB in World War II, with one CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR and FOUR NAVY CROSSES, the most highly decorated submariner in US Navy History.

REAR ADMIRAL OTTO KRETSCHMER - winner of KNIGHTS CROSS with OAK LEAF CLUSTER and CROSSED SWORDS; MOST SUCCESSFUL submarine Skipper of WWI.

MARK COHEN - US Navy veteran (Seabees)

FREGETTENKAPITAN GERHARD THÄTER, C.O. of U-466 and U-3506

PROFESSOR THOMAS MACKIN - Historian

EDDIE PHILLIPS - Historian

OBLT HERBERT WERNER - Author of \"IRON COFFINS\"

WAYNE PICKELS - US NAVY; SILVER STAR

ADM FRANK KELSO - CNO, US Navy, retired

ROBERT PANAZZE - US Navy

CAPTAIN PETER CHELEMEDOS - Merchant Marine

MAJOR LOU MARI - Green Beret

OBLT PETER HANSEN - Abwehr Agent

DETLEV ZIMMERMAN - U-Boat Crewman

BRIAN ORLANDO

JOSEPH BURGES - USN Submarine Veteran

EMILIE CALDWELL-STEWART

I doubt that anyone in the above list would want to be associated with the U-571 movie. I am sure the credentials of these men is why they are asked to be consultants.

As far as the negative comments on this forum, I think if you saw a @#$%& newsletter you would understand. The quality of the printing is, in my opinion, very poor. When you compare it to any magazine you would subscribe to for $50.00 it looses in a big way. However, I still enjoy many of the stories in it. If you don’t go on one of the tours, all you get for your $50.00 is that newsletter. I think most everything else they sell is available to the general public (but I am not certain). From time to time they may also sell other items just to their members or give them a better price. Also people seem to complain about the quality of their videotapes. I have never seen one but they did just announce that they bought new video copying equipment.

There is another thing I forgot to mention. They do allow you to send in questions that they will publish in their newsletter. As some very famous U-boat veterans are members, as well as some very famous U.S. veterans, they will see your questions. I don’t know if any of them has ever answered one of those questions, but it is a way to get the question in front of them. I haven’t ever sent them a question so, again, I have no first-hand experience in this area. Of course, if you need to get a message to one of the U-boat veterans you can sometimes find someone on this forum to forward it to them for you.

Again, I am not any kind or authority on @#$%& and my experience with them is limited.

Regards,

Ken Dunn
</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U Boat Groupes Willy 01/08/2001 02:50AM
RE: U Boat Groupes / additional question Willy 01/08/2001 04:22PM
RE: U Boat Groupes / additional question Fin Bonset 01/08/2001 07:50PM
RE: U Boat Groupes / additional question Craig McLean 01/08/2001 10:14PM
RE: U Boat Groupes / additional question Willy 01/09/2001 03:21AM
RE: U Boat Groupes / additional question A member 01/09/2001 11:07AM
RE: U Boat Groupes / additional question Willy 01/09/2001 01:20PM
RE: U Boat Groupes / additional question A member 01/10/2001 01:01PM
RE: U Boat Groupes / additional question willy 01/10/2001 05:42PM
RE: U Boat Groupes Antonio Veiga 01/09/2001 07:40PM
RE: U Boat Groupes Ken Dunn 01/09/2001 08:06PM
RE: U Boat Groupes Willy 01/10/2001 12:39PM
RE: U Boat Groupes Ken Dunn 01/10/2001 02:42PM
RE: U Boat Groupes (Kretschmer) a member 01/10/2001 05:53PM
RE: U Boat Groupes (Kretschmer) Ken Dunn 01/10/2001 06:46PM
RE: U Boat Groupes Craig McLean 01/10/2001 05:11PM
RE: U Boat Groupes willy 01/10/2001 05:41PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.