General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Type VII B A/A gun
Posted by: joe brandt ()
Date: January 13, 2001 07:57PM

<HTML>the author of \"U-BOATS UNDER THE SWASTIKA\" is JAK P. MALLMANN SHOWELL. There are two diffrent versions in English,the 1973 version is by ARCO and the newer version is by the NAVAL INSTITUTE PRESS.
The conning tower of most pre-war design U-boats had the rear area or WINTERGARDEN as an area for smoking and the middle part of the railings had wood attached to act as a seat , as attacks for aircraft was not a problem yet AA guns were placed on the deck behind the conning tower. As time went on this proved to be a poor choice of location for the AA gun and it was soon moved up to the conning tower wintergarden area where it could be manned more rapidly when needed. When Prien attacked SCAPA FLOW his gun behind the conning tower on the main deck , but after a refit sometime after this raid it was moved up to the wintergarden area on the conning tower. I would think at this time most boats had there AA guns moved up to the conning tower. Later on as the war turned against Germany the wintergarden area would increase in size and a lower one would be added along with an increase in the number of AA guns carried. I also at one time took the U-47 model and cut it at the waterline to make a static display of it. For the water I used something called CELLUCLAY , this is a grey papier-maché type ,it is dry and you just add some water and sread it out and shape it with your hands. When this stuff dries ( it does shrink some ) I painted it with blue , green and white paint then I used a heavy coat of clear polyurathane to give it a water look to it.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Type VII B A/A gun George Roumbos 01/11/2001 03:22AM
RE: Type VII B A/A gun JK 01/12/2001 08:26AM
RE: Type VII B A/A gun George Roumbos 01/12/2001 11:48PM
RE: Type VII B A/A gun Joe 01/13/2001 09:09AM
RE: Type VII B A/A gun George 01/13/2001 02:29PM
RE: Type VII B A/A gun joe brandt 01/13/2001 07:57PM
RE: Type VII B A/A gun George Roumbos 01/14/2001 10:40PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.