General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Spending the night in jail
Posted by: Craig McLean ()
Date: January 16, 2001 08:57PM

<HTML>You\'re probably right about temporary accomodations, but if memory serves, the Brit sailor spent the night before the Bedfordshire put to sea in jail, although was never charged with anything and was released in the morning (only to find his ship had already sailed).

My guess, based on no info--just a guess, is that he may have been tipping a few too many ales and the local cops tucked him safely away for the night---and later let him go with just a wink and pat on the back.

Back in my younger days, two of my fellow army buddies and I were wandering the streets, between bars, with open beers late one Friday night in Columbus, Georgia. The local police picked us up for having \"open containers in public\" and dropped us off at the Military Police desk as a courtesy (rather than giving us a free cell for the night). An MP paddy wagon gave us a ride back to our unit, bumping us around in the back as much as possible (bumpy roads, sharp turns, etc.) where our platoon sergeant gave us a mild chewing out---and then forgot the whole matter.

We\'ll probably never know the entire story why and how fate saved that sailor from being lost with the rest of his crew mates...

Best,
Craig

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
What U-boat sank the Bedfordshire? Frank Blazich 01/16/2001 12:49AM
RE: What U-boat sank the Bedfordshire? Anders Wingren 01/16/2001 01:40AM
RE: What U-boat sank the Bedfordshire? Joe Brennan 01/16/2001 04:11AM
Oops! Anders Wingren 01/16/2001 01:51AM
RE: Oops! Craig McLean 01/16/2001 07:01PM
RE: Spending the night in jail AL Wellman 01/16/2001 07:55PM
RE: Spending the night in jail Craig McLean 01/16/2001 08:57PM
RE: Sam Nutt Craig McLean 01/16/2001 09:12PM
RE: Oops! Torstein 01/16/2001 08:23PM
RE: What U-boat sank the Bedfordshire? Antonio Veiga 01/16/2001 08:49PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.