General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Another Sextant
Posted by: Jay Baker ()
Date: January 17, 2001 11:14PM

<HTML>Fin...do agree with your assessment of that listed sextant. I have a bit of a background with sextants in general but am trying to get up to speed on Kreigsmarine sextants. Personally, I think it would be nearly impossible to fake a sextant...briefly here\'s why...The German sextants were all made by C Plath Hamburg. 40\'s era Plath\'s are largely rare, the technology required to fake the body as well as the optics of a sextant isn\'t run of the mill workmanship. Faking German artifacts could net you big bucks, I think faking any sextant (now I\'m talking about fooling someone who could actually use it and/or compare it \"one to one\" to another sextant) would be counterproductive money wise. I feel demand for Japanese Battle flags would far exceed demand for German Navy Sextants...so therefore it presents an odd object to counterfeit. If the one on eBay is fake ( I remain open minded and feel I still need some research to be expert on this topic), then it is a decent fake. I know for sure it is a 40\'s era Plath sextant. The markings may be fake (Eagle and M number), but if they are, they are pretty nicely done. One of U-505\'s sextants is on display at Chicago.

Jay Baker
Indianapolis,IN,USA

Fin Bonset wrote:
-------------------------------
Hi everyone,

While browsing e-bay I found yet another u-boat sextant, this time the price is close to a 1,000 dollars! I remember the last one being half of that. In fact, I think it is the same one and was bought by someone for a re-sell on ebay. The last time it was 500 dollars, so this guy is making money.

For some reason though it sort of looks fake to me as it looks brand new.

Here\\\'s the URL:

[cgi.ebay.com]

Best regards,

Fin

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Another Sextant Fin Bonset 01/17/2001 01:53PM
RE: Another Sextant Jay Baker 01/17/2001 11:14PM
RE: Hard too fake..?! Joe Brennan 01/18/2001 08:17AM
RE: Hard too fake..?! joe brandt 01/18/2001 11:44PM
RE: Hard too fake..?! Joe Brennan 01/19/2001 11:56AM
RE: Hard too fake..?! Fin Bonset 01/19/2001 12:41PM
RE: Hard too fake..?! John R. 01/19/2001 01:51PM
RE: Another Sextant j harvey 01/20/2001 09:04PM
RE: Another Sextant Jay Baker 01/21/2001 12:37PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.