General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Trip to Helgoland
Posted by: Jeff B. ()
Date: January 19, 2001 05:13PM

<HTML>A few days ago I saw a comment made about traveling to the German island of Helgoland to see some possible Uboat sites of interest and I\'ll be darned if I can find the thread again. So, I guess I\'ll start another one.

I traveled to Helgoland last year while visiting the Uboat Archives. It was a wonderful day trip and a beautiful island, but unfortunately, the Uboat history of the island is all but extinct. The Uboat bunker Nordsee III has been torn down and nearly 90% of the island was destroyed late in the war during a RAF air raid, so little of the old island remains today.

Also gone is pub mentioned in Michael Gannon\'s \"Operation Drumbeat\" (pages 35,39) the \"Tante Lotte\", which was visited by countless Uboat crews, including Kptlt. Hardegen\'s. There is a small nautical museum, but none of it deals with the war years. However, the museum\'s gift shop sells a wonderful book entitled, \"Hochseefestung- Helgoland\" or High Seas Fortress - Helgoland which I believe was about 30DM (or $15 US) which is an absolutely wonderful book covering the island\'s war years history. Lots & lots of photos and diagrams!!

The island today is a big tourist \"getaway\" destination for northern Germans. The island is filled with hotels, shops and restaurants and pubs. Although there is no Uboat history left there to speak of, it certainly is worth the trip, if you have the time. If anyone one is further interested in Helgoland, leave a posting here and I can give you more details and prices. Don\'t worry, I\'m not some travel agent hocking trips!!!! :-) Hope this info. is useful.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Trip to Helgoland Jeff B. 01/19/2001 05:13PM
RE: Trip to Helgoland Zeke 01/19/2001 05:17PM
RE: Trip to Helgoland Jeff B. 01/19/2001 06:00PM
RE: Trip to Helgoland MPC 01/19/2001 07:29PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.