General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
`Rheumatism` ?
Posted by: Frank ()
Date: January 21, 2001 11:10AM

<HTML>Hi all -

While researching a set of photos taken on a U-boat patrol with the help of the log-book of the same patrol, I came across some pictures of a seaman being transferred to another U-boat in order to be taken home. The seaman`s head is completely swathed in bandages, just eyes and mouth apparently uncovered, though the rest of him looks fine; he has some possessions with him wrapped in a sheet.

The log-book however mentions the transfer of a `severe case of rheumatism` being got back home for early treatment. I am curious as to whether this is a euphemism: in other words, whether, for reasons of morale and security, injuries would not have been described as such in a radio-message back to HQ.

The crewmember setting off in the rubber-dinghy certainly doesn`t appear to be suffering from what I would call rheumatism - though it is just possible that it could be a completely different (and unrecorded) incident.

Grateful for any comments !

Best wishes

Frank</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
`Rheumatism` ? Frank 01/21/2001 11:10AM
RE: `Rheumatism` ? joe brandt 01/21/2001 01:28PM
RE: `Rheumatism` ? Frank 01/21/2001 09:26PM
RE: `Rheumatism` ? Frank 01/21/2001 10:22PM
RE: `Rheumatism` ? Frank 01/21/2001 10:27PM
RE: `Rheumatism` ? Kari 01/23/2001 03:59PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.