General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: `Rheumatism` ?
Posted by: Frank ()
Date: January 21, 2001 09:26PM

<HTML>Hi Joe -

And thanks for the response. Yes, it seems that the injuries in the photo must indeed have been real enough, and neither actual rheumatism nor `Blechkrankheit`.

The only reasons I have for being curious are that : all the photos come from the same patrol - U-564 July-Sept 1942: the logbook of that patrol has two relevant entries - a radio-signal \"FT: Treffpunkt `Mützelburg` und `Suhren` zur Krankenangabe in Quadrat DG 4627.....\" and the later log-entry \"U-boot in sicht (`Mützelburg`). Es wird Mtr.Gfr. Schlittenhard, der an Gelenkreuma schwer erkrankt ist, übergeschifft, da `Mützelburg` auf Rückmarsch ist, und der kranke so schneller in ärztliche Behandlung kommt\": there are various pictures of crewmembers doing things in inflatables with another U-boat alongside, and *any* of them might well have rheumatism, though it`s not of course apparent: there is one set of photos of the crewmember with head-injuries apparently being transferred: one would expect (I presume) a log entry to that effect.

I have checked with the Radio-log from FdU - message from Suhren 21.7.42 -\"Habe schwere Fall von Gelenkreumatismus an Bord. Erbitte Abgabe bei erster Möglichkeit....\"

So it certainly should be *rheumatism* but looks like a head-injury; hence my curiosity as to whether it might be a euphemism/code or something of that sort. if not, then I shall have to re-think.

One further thing - when the set of photos were passed to me for research, there was a mention of the boat having `picked up an injured airman` en route; but there seems to be no mention of that in the log either, and I have no idea about the accuracy of the statement, which seems to have been based on what my informant was told some fifty years ago ! I suppose that had an injured airman been picked up, he would also have been transferred to a homeward-bound boat for a quick return to base - but without any mention in an FT to FdU ?

(Pity I can`t post one of the pictures to the forum; I have had a look at the thread about `picture-posting`; it looks completely beyond me ! - and only apparently works with webpages anyway.)

Best wishes - and thanks again for the reply.

Frank </HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
`Rheumatism` ? Frank 01/21/2001 11:10AM
RE: `Rheumatism` ? joe brandt 01/21/2001 01:28PM
RE: `Rheumatism` ? Frank 01/21/2001 09:26PM
RE: `Rheumatism` ? Frank 01/21/2001 10:22PM
RE: `Rheumatism` ? Frank 01/21/2001 10:27PM
RE: `Rheumatism` ? Kari 01/23/2001 03:59PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.