General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Metering of O2 content
Posted by: Barry Williams ()
Date: January 24, 2001 02:21PM

<HTML>Hello Pappy,
Pre WW2 and the development of solid state sensors, the Germans had a device called the Orsat Gas Sampling Apparatus which was freely available on the commercial market. It was cheap, simple, accurate, reliable and virtually maitenance free.
For the technically minded it basically consisted of three glass containers of size approx. 250ml, each containing a small quantity of either caustic soda, or oxypyrogalol, or ammoniacal cuprous chloride. A fourth container (\"rservoir\" containing acidified water) coupled to the other three with rubber tubing was raised and lowered (wanked) thus causing a volume of gas (initially 100ml) to be bubbled through each of the jars in turn, subsequent reductions in volume thus corrosponding to the percentage carbon dioxide, oxygen and carbon monoxide respectively.
The Orsat was contained in a wooden box about the size of a small attache case.
Caution, as my knowledge of U-boats is very limmited I am not stating that they were equipped with Orsats but as the Germans were the developers of this technology I would be very supprised at statements to the contrary.
Barry. </HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Submerged Time? Pappy 01/24/2001 05:38AM
RE: Submerged Time? Don Baker 01/24/2001 06:34AM
Metering of O2 content Barry Williams 01/24/2001 02:21PM
RE: Metering of O2 content Yuri IL\'IN 01/25/2001 05:46PM
Canary Barry Williams 01/26/2001 12:33PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.