General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Axes subs
Posted by: Richard Mickle ()
Date: November 28, 2000 08:50PM

<HTML>There was also one Romanian submarine--I believe it was called the
Delfinul--which carried out two or three patrols right after the beginning of
Operation Barbarosa in the East. If I remember correctly, the submarine was of Romanian design.

In \"Axis Submarine Successes of World War II,\" it
is credited with the sinking of two Soviet freighters, one by mine and the other
by torpedoe and gunfire.

I do not know why the submarine did not carry out another patrol after 1942, it
was not lost.

Once Italy dropped out of the war, the Romanian Navy took over the Italian CB (five of them I believe) six man submarines which had operated in the Black Sea until the Italian armistice. The small CB subs were used mainly in anti-submarine roles--they carried two torpedoes mounted on the outside of the hull. CBs accounted for at least one Soviet submarine in the Black Sea, though there is also one probable sinking and one possible mentioned in various sources. I do not know whether the Romanians ever actually used the CBs.

The Italians also had an even smaller mine-laying submarine of the CA class. I do not beleive any of these saw action, though the Italians planned to transport one to New York and release it into the harbor there to lay mines. They surrendered before carrying this out.

Hope this helps you out some. Finnish subs have already been covered above. There were also a number of attacks launched by Vichy French submarines during the war, some of them successful (I believe one even damaged a British battleship off Dakar--not positive though).

Regards,

Rich </HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Axes subs Kalle Anka 11/28/2000 11:27AM
RE: Axes subs MPC 11/28/2000 12:15PM
RE: Axes subs AndersWingren 11/28/2000 04:03PM
RE: Axes subs Andrew Mair 11/28/2000 05:10PM
RE: Axes subs Richard Mickle 11/28/2000 08:50PM
RE: Axes subs Antonio Veiga 11/28/2000 09:28PM
RE: Axes subs Steve Cooper 11/29/2000 02:03PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.