General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: U-879 info for Michael lowrey
Posted by: C.E. ()
Date: December 02, 2000 05:17PM

<HTML>Dear Michael: Quite welcome. If I understood German better, I could tell you about the story on it. In this book, the explanation went for about a page, and it looks as if they did have one heck of an adventure before being killed.

Michael Lowrey wrote:
-------------------------------
C.E.,

Thanks for the information. I think this is one of those that we have to fill in the unknown and probably unknowable catagory pending further discoveries at sea (i.e. another unexpected find like U-869).

At least three U-boats were operating off the U.S. East Coast late in war with little or no contact with Germany (U 548, U 857, U 879). There is considerable confusion about there fates.

What I can determine we know (from your posts, this webste, plus Kemp\\\'s \\\"U-Boats Destroyed\\\") is:

1. A boat definitely was operating in the Gulf of Maine and damaged a ship on April 5. The Gustafson attack followed on April 7th.

2. A boat was attacked by the Buckley on April 19th with depth charges resulting in a definite kill (human remains came to surface).

3. A different U-boat was active off Cape Hatteras/Cape Delaware in April, sinking ships in the 14th, 18th, and 23rd. She was detected again on the 27, and depth charged and destroyed on the 30th. By Nanchez and a h....</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-879 info for Michael lowrey C.E. 11/30/2000 11:56PM
RE: U-879 info for Michael lowrey Michael Lowrey 12/02/2000 02:40AM
RE: U-879 info for Michael lowrey C.E. 12/02/2000 05:17PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.