General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Yugoslavians in U-Boot Waffe
Posted by: Fin Bonset ()
Date: December 05, 2000 02:33PM

<HTML>Hi Rich et all,

I too remember that posting and I believe someone had evidence that there were (ethnic german) Poles on U-boots.

As you may know, Craig McLean returned from his trip to the Archive and did some research for me regarding my great uncle who I and my family thought was in the U-boot arm (this is per conversations with my father and Grandfather who were close to him and are still convinced he was). Upon Craig\'s return he told me Mr.Bredow knew from the top of his head that my great uncle was an officer candidate in the Kriegsmarine and said that no non-Germans were allowed in the u-boat arm. My great uncle was Dutch and would therefore be under that rule. I can\'t thank Craig enough for his effort and he has opened a new door for me as it is now 100 percent sure that my great uncle was somewhere in the Kriegsmarine. I am not giving up on the fact that my great uncle could have been on a u-boat as both my father and grandfather seem very convinced. Maybe he became or was at the time a citizen of Germany. These are the facts I will search for in the future. Craig has given me new goals and I can\'t wait to go to the archive myself to continue the research. Hopefully my company\'s project in Berlin will start in May of next year so that I will be able to go to the Archive while I\'m in Germany as I will probably be living there for six months or so.

Well, I I thought I would put in my two pfennings. I think Mr. Bredow is right about the German-only item. Maybe there were one or two rare instances, who knows. I respect Mr. Bredow\'s knowledge and I want to thank him and Craig for the great help.

Hopefully that will clear things up a little for this thread.

Best regards as always!

Fin Bonset</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Yugoslavians in U-Boot Waffe Tono 12/03/2000 07:09PM
RE: Yugoslavians in U-Boot Waffe Craig McLean 12/04/2000 02:55PM
RE: Yugoslavians in U-Boot Waffe Michael Lowrey 12/04/2000 04:17PM
RE: Yugoslavians in U-Boot Waffe Rich Mickle 12/04/2000 08:49PM
RE: Yugoslavians in U-Boot Waffe Fin Bonset 12/05/2000 02:33PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.