General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Oil Targets
Posted by: Rich Mickle ()
Date: December 05, 2000 11:15PM

<HTML>This is a good question, but I think Kurt has answered it almost perfectly--the Uboat is not the best artillery platform. A single deck gun is not going to do any significant, long lasting damage. In order to cause the amount of damage we are talking about a Uboat would probably need to stick around the scene too long.

On a similar note, I have read that a Uboat--I believe it was Hardegen in U-123, though it might have been Mohr in U-124, not sure--actually attempted to shell oil refineries on a Dutch possession (Aruba??) in the Caribbean. Apparently the first shot detonated prematurely right in front of the gun rendering it useless for the remainder of the patrol. If I remember correctly, he was ordered to make the attempt, though Doenitz believed it foolhardy and with little chance of success (I may be wrong on this).

this may be a stupid question, but did they have oil rigs back then? I\'m thinking that they really weren\'t in use until the 50s and 60s though.

Regards,

Rich

ps---I have also read about a Uboat run aground on a sandbar off Louisiana. Apparently it exchanged fire with some locals armed with rifles taking shots at the boat. Supposedly the tide came in and the Uboat got away before the Navy showed up. I believe this might be a Uboat legend however, as it would seem odd for a sub to be close enough to shore for men with rifles to shoot at her.

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Oil Targets Craig McLean 12/05/2000 02:06PM
RE: Oil Targets Anders Wingren 12/05/2000 02:35PM
RE: Oil Targets Fin Bonset 12/05/2000 02:49PM
RE: Oil Targets Fin Bonset 12/05/2000 02:46PM
RE: Oil Targets TL 12/05/2000 03:14PM
RE: Oil Targets kurt 12/05/2000 05:41PM
RE: Oil Targets TL 12/06/2000 01:27PM
RE: Oil Targets kurt 12/06/2000 11:49PM
RE: Oil Targets Rich Mickle 12/05/2000 11:15PM
RE: Oil Targets Fin Bonset 12/06/2000 12:25PM
RE: Oil Targets Capt. George W. Duffy 12/06/2000 12:17AM
RE: Oil Targets Romulo Figueiredo 12/06/2000 02:03AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.