General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Marvika Submarine base, Kristiansand, Norway
Posted by: Bill Forster ()
Date: June 03, 2011 09:35AM

I would like to contact any surviving crew member of the U-boats at the Marvika naval base outside Kristiansand, Norway, in May 1945 when when the British destroyers HMS VENOMOUS and HMS VALOROUS accepted the surrender of German naval forces.

My father, William Revers Forster (1900-75) was present at the surrender ceremony on HMS VENOMOUS and one of the German officers surrendered to him by presenting him with his Luger.

And Lt Cdr Dennis, the CO of HMS VALOROUS, visited the U-boat base and wrote in an unpublished memoir:

-------- snip

There were 26 in all. I still have some numbers: U 281, 299, 369, 712, 1163 (TypeVIIC): U 2321, 2325, 2334, 2335, 2337, 2350, 2353, 2354, 2361, 2363 (Type XXIII): and U 2529 (Type XXI). The Type XXIII and XXI were the very latest, streamlined and very fast underwater. We were indeed lucky that they had hardly been in service long enough to affect the war at sea.

I walked around some of them and was tremendously impressed with their equipment, their cleanliness and the high morale of the officers and men. This was indeed remarkable considering the appalling losses they had suffered (something like four out of five of all U-boat.

--------- end

Fred Mercer AB, a seaman on VENOMOUS, said the proudest moment of his life was when the German Admiral commended him on his seamanship when he brought him alongside VENOMOUS in the ship's whaler for the surrender ceremony. Fred stayed behind in Kristiansand and returned to Britain aboard one of the U-boats.

These events are described in A HARD FOUGHT SHIP: THE STORY OF HMS VENOMOUS (Moore and Rodgaard)which I published. For further details see: [www.holywellhousepublishing.co.uk]

Is anybody still alive who was aboard one of these U-boats at Marvika in May 1945?

Can you put me in touch with them or a member of their family?

Bill Forster

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Marvika Submarine base, Kristiansand, Norway Bill Forster 12/01/2007 02:53PM
Re: Marvika Submarine base, Kristiansand, Norway Bill Forster 08/07/2008 08:59AM
Re: Marvika Submarine base, Kristiansand, Norway Bill Forster 06/03/2011 09:35AM
Re: Marvika Submarine base, Kristiansand, Norway Arthur Benneche 09/02/2017 05:25PM
Re: Marvika Submarine base, Kristiansand, Norway Lars Morten Morell 01/06/2017 08:33PM
Re: Marvika Submarine base, Kristiansand, Norway t-geronimo 01/07/2017 10:32AM
Re: Marvika Submarine base, Kristiansand, Norway Ken Dunn 01/07/2017 04:02PM
Re: Marvika Submarine base, Kristiansand, Norway Lars Morten Morell 03/09/2017 09:04AM
Re: Marvika Submarine base, Kristiansand, Norway Lars Morten Morell 03/09/2017 09:02AM
Re: Marvika Submarine base, Kristiansand, Norway Cape Crusader 06/03/2011 08:01PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.