General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-boats off Skeleton Coast Namibia
Posted by: Andy Owen ()
Date: October 21, 2021 03:05PM

Hello. I am hoping someone might be able to help me with this.

I have come across a story that I find very interesting, but I can't seem to find anything to substantiate it. Perhaps it is nonsense. But, I'm keen to try and research it further and to see if anyone on here can help.

Here is the relevant part of the story:

"He was a U-boat captain during the war and was patrolling the southern African coastline when the war came to an end. He had spent a lot of time around this area and wanted to see it again, the main reason they came on this safari.

As far as I could understand, they had decided not to immediately surrender, but to wait it out hoping for instructions to come through. They were at a very remote part of the world with very little or no traffic as most ships sail far off the coast because of the shape of Africa.

This coastline at the time was, and to a great extent today still is, deserted. They took on water at the river mouth and hunted Oryx and Springbok antelope on the banks and camped on the beach at some secluded spots mostly further north, one of which was Baia Dos Tigres.

He said after about 9 months they eventually realised things were not going to change, no messages came through and they anyway were slowly running out of diesel. To just surrender apparently was not so easy. They sailed back up north towards Europe and found a sizable Spanish fishing vessel that they could surrender to. I tried to ask a bit more about the process they had to go through and their operations down here, but he did not want to say much, maybe there were things he thought still could get back to him".

I can't find any record of a U-Boat surrendering 9 months after the war ended.

Has anyone any thoughts on this? I'd love it to be true, as I'm a writer and it would make a fine tale.

Any help would be appreciated.

All the best

Andy

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-boats off South African coast Martinus 06/07/2008 07:37AM
Re: U-boats off South African coast Ken Dunn 06/07/2008 02:54PM
Re: U-boats off South African coast Peter 06/09/2008 07:06PM
Re: U-boats off South African coast Peter 06/10/2008 05:54AM
Re: U-boats off South African coast Martinus 06/12/2008 07:51PM
Re: U-boats off South African coast Jan Barnard 07/06/2008 10:37AM
Re: U-boats off South African coast Francesco Mattesini 07/07/2008 06:27AM
Re: U-boats off South African coast Marco Martinetti 07/10/2008 12:55PM
U-boats off Skeleton Coast Namibia Andy Owen 10/21/2021 03:05PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.