General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: HMS Pine
Posted by: Glyn Sadler ()
Date: January 17, 2022 09:36AM

Good day all.

Great to see people interested in this history. I have a bit of info on a crew member on board SS Emerald.

My Great Grandfather John Rooke aged 44 was a fireman on board. Unfortunately he was killed on that night of 31/01.1944, leaving behind a wife and 4 children, one of whom was my Grandmother. She has 7 children one of whom my mother. So it is comforting to know that his name and memory live on today.

I served as a Royal Marines Commando for 9 years and can fully appreciate what sacrifice was made to protect our nation. It was very emotive to see actual images of the SS Emerald lying at the bottom of the sea with propeller still intact. I believe that the rest of the vessel is in poor condition and the Caleb Sprague close by is the more popular dive site.

I have only just begun this knowledge journey to find out more and pleased to see info on the HMS Pine also. Very strange to be able to find out the name of the man responsible for the sinking of my Great Grandfather. Hinrich Ahrens od S-142. Happy also to learn that S-142 was sunk during an air raid. No judges held but I imagine the crew of the HMS Pine will have been pleased at that news.

In all honesty its very hard to put into perspective how people felt during the time with all this going on. It must have been heart breaking to hear of such losses on a daily basis. I'm sure peace was desperately yearned for throughout 1939-1945.

May all those that loft their life at sea with no named grave but the sea rest in peace.

Regards
Glyn Sadler

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
HMS Pine Nick Fox 02/05/2009 01:38PM
Re: HMS Pine David H 02/05/2009 02:31PM
Re: HMS Pine David H 02/05/2009 02:39PM
Re: HMS Pine Bruce Dennis 02/05/2009 06:53PM
Re: HMS Pine gerard heimann 02/05/2009 08:04PM
Re: HMS Pine Nick Fox 02/06/2009 09:44AM
Re: HMS Pine Urs Heßling 01/18/2022 05:30PM
Re: HMS Pine Glyn Sadler 01/17/2022 09:36AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.