General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Reinhard "Teddy" Suhren
Posted by: Vidart ()
Date: March 29, 2010 07:02PM

Hi
This is probably old info to you, but Alf R. Jacobsen writes something about this in "Til siste slutt" (To the bitter end), - I don't know if it is translated into English like "Banesår", so I try a translation;
"... The day after Grille, Stella Polaris, the accomodation vessel Kärnten, the repair ships Huascaran and Kamerun and the fifteen u-boats left Narvik for the last time with course set for Trondheim. ...... The day after the squadron was overtaken by five British (sic) (should be Canadian) frigates. The 15 U-boats were sent directly to Scotland where the crews were interned. Commander Suhren and the 5 auxilliary ships were allowed to continue to Trondheim."

In Suhren/Brustat-Naval's biography of Suhren one can read:
"....So we left Narvik and headed south. Five british (sic) corvettes met us outside Trondheim to collect the submarines toghether; a few were following on behind, so that in the end about twenty turned up. Their intention was to whisk the lot away at once. In spite of all my on-the-spot objections, there was of course nothing one could do about it. A rather arrogant English Lieutenant asked whether I wasn't aware that we had to follow Allied orders. So all my boats, which I had still been intending to deliver to Trondheim, were taken out of my hands and whisked off to England together with their crews........ There was no BdU any more. I had to make my own decicion about what to do next. When I arrived in Trondheim, I adviced the chief of the flotilla (now minus his flotilla).........."

Rgds
Vidar

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Reinhard "Teddy" Suhren Cape Crusader 03/29/2010 02:59PM
Re: Reinhard "Teddy" Suhren FAlmeida 03/29/2010 05:50PM
Re: Reinhard "Teddy" Suhren Vidart 03/29/2010 07:02PM
Re: Reinhard "Teddy" Suhren Cape Crusader 03/29/2010 09:16PM
Re: Reinhard "Teddy" Suhren Vidart 03/30/2010 08:11AM
Re: Reinhard "Teddy" Suhren Cape Crusader 03/30/2010 08:46AM
Re: Reinhard "Teddy" Suhren Vidart 03/30/2010 11:04AM
Re: Reinhard "Teddy" Suhren Vidart 03/30/2010 02:45PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.