General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: U/36 German Submarine
Posted by: Vidart ()
Date: April 05, 2010 06:12PM

It's indeed the detonator of a torpedo.
But would the u-boat number be stamped on the detonator, when not even the u-boat itself was allowed to carry a number for identification? Well, I don't know, it's of course possible, but I would think that the numbers rather may represent the type of detonator mechanism or "pistol"
This one could for example be a further development or subtype of the Pi 36 pistol that was developed in 1938 and onwards.

I have checked with Eberhard Rössler's Die Torpedos der deutschen U-Boote ISBB 3-8132-0842-7
I don't find any picture that exactly matches this detonator, but close.

The four large fins or horns are the contact triggers that will move on a hinge upon contact with a ships hull and trigger the detonation of the initial explosive (firing charge) which then in turn would ignite the main explosive of the torpedo.
The four small fins is part of a security mechanism. They make the tip into a propeller which will rotate when the torpedo moves through the water. This rotations will screw an internal cylinder further into the head. The cylinder contains the firing charge, and only after the torpedo has run a long enough distance (the tip has had enough rotations), the firing charge has been moved into the right location where it can be set off. This is of course to ensure that the torpedo doesn't explode too close to the u-boat.

In page 78 of the book, there is a picture of a Pi 1 (Pi G7H) head/pistol. This one only has two “propeller” blades, but he mentions that later in development, they used four.

Cheers
Vidar

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U/36 German Submarine 8freak 04/04/2010 07:47PM
Re: U/36 German Submarine csasch 04/05/2010 01:33PM
Re: U/36 German Submarine Vidart 04/05/2010 06:12PM
Re: U/36 German Submarine 8freak 04/08/2010 10:36AM
Re: U/36 German Submarine Vidart 04/08/2010 05:06PM
Re: U/36 German Submarine Vidart 04/09/2010 04:45PM
Re: U/36 German Submarine 8freak 04/09/2010 11:38PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.