General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Operation Road's End (The Japanese Deadlight)
Posted by: Derek Waller ()
Date: November 24, 2010 05:32PM

Dear All,

I am researching the fates of the U-Boats that surrendered in the Far East under the IJN flag,and this is probably a question directed at Forum Members in America who are ex-US Navy men.

I am keen to find out if there is anyone who knows any of the details concerning the sinking/scuttling of 3 ex-U-Boats in Japan in April 1946.

They are:

RO-500 (ex-U-511) in the Sea of Japan on 30 April 1946
I-503 (ex-U-IT-24) in the Kii Suido on 16 April 1946
I-504 (ex-U-IT-25) in the Kii Suido on 16 April 1946

Is there, by any chance, anyone who was a crew member on the US Navy ships involved and who remembers what happened? Or do any of the ex-US Navy Ship Associations have any information? Or does anyone know where such information might be filed in the US Navy’s NARA archives?

On 1/2 April 1946 most of the surviving Japanese submarines were sunk in "Operation Road's End" (the Japanese version of Operation Deadlight), in which USS Nereus and USS Larson were involved. However, the 3 ex-U-Boats in which I am interested were sunk later in the month and many miles further to the east, so they do not seem to have been part of Road's End.

Any thoughts or contributions would be very much appreciated.

Yours aye

Derek

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Operation Road's End (The Japanese Deadlight) Derek Waller 11/24/2010 05:32PM
Re: Operation Road's End (The Japanese Deadlight) Simon Gunson 12/02/2010 03:00AM
Re: Operation Road's End (The Japanese Deadlight) Derek Waller 12/02/2010 11:21AM
Re: Operation Road's End (The Japanese Deadlight) Manfred 12/07/2010 04:43AM
Re: Operation Road's End (The Japanese Deadlight) Derek Waller 12/07/2010 10:21AM
Re: Operation Road's End (The Japanese Deadlight) vito 12/08/2010 08:43AM
Re: Operation Road's End (The Japanese Deadlight) Derek Waller 12/08/2010 10:07AM
Re: Operation Road's End (The Japanese Deadlight) Kenneth Manske 11/15/2022 10:58PM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.