German Submarine News, Baltimore MD
Posted by: Woody ()
Date: July 16, 2011 12:07AM

While doing research on the war bond tour of U-505 and her visit to Baltimore, Maryland I found these two articles published in Baltimore Sun. I though I would share these with everyone.......

Sunken German U-boat becomes state's first diving preserve
By Tom Keyser and Tom Keyser,Sun Staff Writer | May 8, 1995
Visitors to Maryland's newest park can forget their grills and lawn chairs, but they'd better bring wet suits. That's because the "park" is at the bottom of the Potomac River -- a sunken World War II-era German submarine.Today, Lt. Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend and assorted dignitaries will dedicate the U-1105 Black Panther Historic Shipwreck Preserve off Piney Point in St. Mary's County. A mile offshore in about 85 feet of murky water, the 51-year-old submarine is Maryland's first diving preserve and one of fewer than 20 such preserves in the country.

NEWS
The daring feat of the German submarine Deutschland
By Albert J. Silverman | July 10, 1991
SEVENTY-FIVE years ago today, July 10, 1916, Baltimoreans were electrified to learn that the submarine Deutschland had arrived in the Patapsco and would dock near Fort McHenry. It was front-page news in The Sun, which hailed the event with these words:"Completing one of the most remarkable trips by a craft of its type ever attempted and making good a boast of the Germans that it could be done, the submarine Deutschland, carrying 1,000 tons of cargo, appeared in the Virginia Capes yesterday and will dock in Baltimore today.

Subject Written By Posted
German Submarine News, Baltimore MD Woody 07/16/2011 12:07AM