General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-Boats at Lisahally 1945 - 1949
Posted by: Derek Waller ()
Date: September 05, 2011 08:42AM

Dear All,

During the drafting of my recent paper about the story of the U-Boats in the Royal Navy after May 1945, it became obvious that the Royal Naval base at Lisahally, near Londonderry in Lough Foyle in N.Ireland, played a major role in the process of assembling, testing and disposing of large numbers of the U-Boats which had surrendered at the end of the war in Europe.

The first U-Boats to arrive did so on 14 May 1945, and thereafter the jetties at Lisahally were host to large numbers of surrendered U-Boats throughout the year. There was a US Navy presence from May to August, which resulted in two Type XXI U-Boats being covertly transferred to the USA, and Russian naval officers were in evidence in August and November. There was even a Royal Visit on 19 July 1945.

Lisahally then played the major role in the transfer of 10 of the U-Boats to Russia, as well as making a significant contribution to Operation Deadlight. Throughout this time, there were considerable numbers of German prisoners of war at Lisahally assisting with the maintenance of the U-Boats and, whilst there were a few who caused trouble, the majority co-operated in what was obviously a job well done by Captain P Q Roberts and his Royal Naval staff. Finally, by the end of February 1946, there were just six U-Boats remaining at Lisahally, and these were towed away for scrapping in 1949.

This Lisahally story has just been published by Gudmundur on "uboat.net” in the "Articles" section, and if anyone knows of any significant details which I have omitted, or any errors that I might have made, then I should of course welcome comments.

Yours aye

Derek

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-Boats at Lisahally 1945 - 1949 Derek Waller 09/05/2011 08:42AM
Re: U-Boats at Lisahally 1945 - 1949 mark 09/23/2011 10:33AM
Re: U-Boats at Lisahally 1945 - 1949 Derek Waller 09/23/2011 12:44PM
Re: U-Boats at Lisahally 1945 - 1949 philflying 07/23/2018 07:41PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.