General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Mystery Submarine - Norfolk VA, ca 1970
Posted by: BHenderson ()
Date: September 21, 2011 01:14PM

My college roommate's friend worked at Newport News Shipyard from about 1966 - 1975. One weekend we were visiting him and it was decided that we'd go to Virginia Beach. As we crossed the bridge/tunnel from Newport News to Norfolk, he pointed to a pile of rubble pushed up on a sandbar right at the water's edge next to the bridge and said "That's a German submarine -- they sank it but the Navy hauled it up and brought it here to inspect it". This pile of rubble was generally recognizable as a small submarine although it was pretty well broken about.

I passed by there a couple of weeks ago and there is no sign of any wreckage or anything at that place now.

We're talking about 40 years ago when my friend made this comment. Is there any truth to this? Does anyone have any information on this wreck -- was it a submarine -- how did it get there -- was it German, US, other -- what happened to the wreck?????

Thanks, Bruce H, NC USA

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Mystery Submarine - Norfolk VA, ca 1970 BHenderson 09/21/2011 01:14PM
Re: Mystery Submarine - Norfolk VA, ca 1970 vito 09/21/2011 04:00PM
Re: Mystery Submarine - Norfolk VA, ca 1970 BHenderson 09/21/2011 04:38PM
Re: Mystery Submarine - Norfolk VA, ca 1970 Bob Schmidt 07/15/2016 12:52AM
Re: Mystery Submarine - Norfolk VA, ca 1970 RJ 09/30/2011 01:42AM
Re: Mystery Submarine - Norfolk VA, ca 1970 Neil Boyd 09/29/2015 03:14PM
Re: Mystery Submarine - Norfolk VA, ca 1970 Clyde Nordan 09/16/2018 11:25PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.