General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Heinz-Günther Scholz - U-283
Posted by: barinasboy ()
Date: April 08, 2012 10:29AM

Kindly received this information from Peter Euteneur whose father was OSTRM Emil Euteneur (283)
Quote:-
Just prior to Wolfgang Kindlers death, he described in a letter, written to Horst Bredow, the circumstances that led to the suicide committed by Oberleutnant zur See Hans-Günther Scholz. I’ve translated the pertinent part of the letter

...........After the completion of the dock yard period at the Schichau/Königsberg (Kalinigrad) ship yard, the proving sea trials followed at which members of the yard personnel were on board. As normal practise had it, the glasses were raised for a toast to celebrate the successful proving trials. At that stage, Ofhr.z.S. Egon Pachel was in command of the boat which included the docking manoeuvre. The berth of the boat was at an outrigger of the pier. At this position another U-boat*, lying across the shipping channel, was carrying out stationary trials. Getting around it presented no problems. My friend Egon**, wanting to make sure of a safe berthing, behaved most probably a little bit too cautious so that the Commander took over the command with “I have control”. On the bridge, of course, were also the shipyard staff and he was going to show them how it was to be done.

To be able to reach the berth, the boat had to travel backwards and whilst doing so, U-283 hit the other boat, as it turned out later, only minor damage had occurred.

In the evening we all sat together in the mess room onboard “Der Deutsche” with a glass of red wine. A calm, rational conversation took place. On the following morning, a Sunday, an 8 o’clock mustercall had been set. The ships compliment was present apart from the Commandant. The cabin door was locked which was then opened by the ships-carpenter who found the Commander who had hanged himself. A note on the table read, “I’m not willing to continue a botched up career, please do not let my parents know what I did”. It was his second collision, a few weeks prior, a minor one. Olt Scholz came from the Luftwaffe. He was a reserved, stiff, person, little humour. Stood for a respectful, soldierly behaviour. He came from well-off parents who lived at Lake Constance.

I had the thankless task to attend the medical jurisprudence. Regarding the funeral there is nothing that I can remember about it. At this point, the boat would not have been anymore at Königsberg. As replacement, a young, happy Lt. z. See Ney took over command. In the six months as LI under instruction on this boat, I got along very well with everyone; with the Commander it was a bit more difficult, as he felt that I was not military enough. However, I am still surprised, looking at the good reference I received on leaving the boat. I mourn the comrades of this boat...............

A sad affair
Regrds Barinasboy.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Heinz-Günther Scholz - U-283 Eric Stone 04/07/2012 03:33PM
Re: Heinz-Günther Scholz - U-283 FAlmeida 04/07/2012 06:16PM
Re: Heinz-Günther Scholz - U-283 barinasboy 04/08/2012 10:29AM
Re: Heinz-Günther Scholz - U-283 Eric Stone 04/09/2012 03:41PM
Re: Heinz-Günther Scholz - U-283 Eric Stone 04/09/2012 03:17PM
Re: Heinz-Günther Scholz - U-283 barinasboy 04/11/2012 02:47PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.