General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Research project on uboats/submarines
Posted by: tonyingesson ()
Date: August 21, 2012 07:35AM

Volker & Theresa,

Thanks for the suggestion re. Dönitz' statements in the Nuremberg trials. I have read them before (along with many other parts of those protocols) and found them very illuminating.

I'll be happy to keep you up to date on my research. Right now I'm preparing a conference article which I do not intend to circulate in public, but I'll be happy to discuss the content. After the conference I'll keep working on the article and re-write it for publishing. If and when that happend I might be able to make it available, depending on where it gets published.

The short explanation is that my research is focused on cases in which tactical decisions have had far-reaching strategic consequences, in a positive or negative sense. I have studied a number of cases from several different conflicts, trying to find a general pattern. My hypothesis is that there is a systematic dimension to this phenomenon, i.e. that tactical decisions that diverge from strategic expectations can be predicted to some extent. My theory is that all tactical units have more or less unique sets of norms that influence tactical decision-making, in particular when there are challenges to situational awareness, and when decisions have to be made under stress.

I've made an unpublished conference paper from last year available here: [www.lunduniversity.lu.se]
Please note that the paper in question is somewhat obsolete, since I've revised and developed much of the project since that was written.

Felix,

Thanks for your suggestions! The Brazilian one I did know, but this is the first time I hear of the Martinique event.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Research project on uboats/submarines tonyingesson 08/20/2012 08:10AM
Re: Research project on uboats/submarines Volker Erich Kummrow 08/20/2012 11:34AM
Re: Research project on uboats/submarines Ken Dunn 08/20/2012 11:40AM
Re: Research project on uboats/submarines tonyingesson 08/20/2012 12:45PM
Re: Research project on uboats/submarines Volker Erich Kummrow 08/20/2012 03:07PM
Re: Research project on uboats/submarines theresap 08/20/2012 01:37PM
Re: Research project on uboats/submarines Felix C 08/20/2012 06:06PM
Re: Research project on uboats/submarines Felix C 08/20/2012 06:08PM
Re: Research project on uboats/submarines tonyingesson 08/21/2012 07:35AM
Re: Research project on uboats/submarines Volker Erich Kummrow 08/21/2012 11:27AM
Re: Research project on uboats/submarines tonyingesson 08/21/2012 11:57AM
Re: Research project on uboats/submarines Felix C 08/21/2012 12:03PM
Re: Research project on uboats/submarines Hans.Mair@U-35.com 08/22/2012 12:12AM
Re: Research project on uboats/submarines tonyingesson 08/22/2012 06:55AM
Re: Research project on uboats/submarines Volker Erich Kummrow 08/22/2012 10:37AM
Re: Research project on uboats/submarines BHenderson 08/23/2012 04:04AM
Re: Research project on uboats/submarines BHenderson 08/23/2012 04:05AM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.