General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe
Posted by: tonyingesson ()
Date: October 29, 2012 12:11PM

Thanks Volker,

The first one I've already read, but the second one is one of the very few discussions I've seen where the comparison is actually made. In spite of all the potential pitfalls of this comparative approach (and I'm the first to admit that there are quite a few of those), I still think it's an idea that may produce useful insights.

I presented a paper about this at an international conference last week, and it was relatively well received (there were no submarine experts among the people who listened, but a few military historians and military sociologists as well as officers).

Right now I'm very interested in the role played by Dönitz in the development of norms and "appropriateness" within the Ubootwaffe during the pre-war years. It seems to me that Dönitz was the kind of leader men could rally around, thus becoming a single unifying force. The Americans seem to have had a more fragmented organization during the pre-war years as well as during the first year of combat operations, in which a relatively sizeable minority were adherents of the cautious approach while the rest wanted to be more aggressive.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe tonyingesson 09/04/2012 02:22PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe tonyingesson 09/04/2012 02:24PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe lcdrusnret 10/28/2012 03:00PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe tonyingesson 10/29/2012 08:28AM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe Volker Erich Kummrow 10/29/2012 11:21AM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe tonyingesson 10/29/2012 12:11PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe lcdrusnret 10/29/2012 02:48PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe Volker Erich Kummrow 10/30/2012 02:17PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe tonyingesson 10/30/2012 02:33PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe Volker Erich Kummrow 10/30/2012 03:09PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe lcdrusnret 10/29/2012 03:06PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe lcdrusnret 10/30/2012 02:59AM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe tonyingesson 10/30/2012 08:55AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.