General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Non-surrender
Posted by: Rich Mickle ()
Date: December 10, 2000 03:39PM

<HTML>I have not read of any boats that actually made attacks after the issue
of the surrender order. I do know that a number of boats did not always surrender to Allied ships or port authorities.
U997 and U530, for instance, made their way to Argentina to be interned. I\'ve also read a few boats actually tried to get back to Germany.
Don\'t know that any actually launched attacks though. I imagine not all boats received the signal right away either.
I do not remember the designation, but the first Type XXI boat approached while submerged a number of British ships (including a cruiser) without being detected. The boat did not, howerver, launch an attack and left the scene.

There is also the issue of the cease fire order vs. the surrender order. The Uboats, I believe, were actually ordered to cease their attacks at least a couple of days before they were told to surrender.

Regards,

rich</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Non-surrender PAPPY 12/10/2000 09:05AM
RE: Non-surrender Rich Mickle 12/10/2000 03:39PM
RE: Non-surrender Capt. George W. Duffy 12/10/2000 04:57PM
RE: Non-surrender kurt 12/10/2000 11:23PM
RE: Non-surrender Scott 12/11/2000 12:57AM
RE: Non-surrender Andrew Mair 12/11/2000 09:40AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.