General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Seeking Info on Survivors of Junyo Maru Sinking Off Sumatra 14 Sept 1944
Posted by: DMP ()
Date: May 19, 2014 05:40PM

Hello Uboat.Net Members!

I'm a writer who is researching a book about the Merchant Marine in the Dutch East Indies around the time of WW2. I'm very interested in the tragic story of the Junyo Maru, a Japanese prison ship that transported enslaved prisoners of war and Indonesian laborers from Java to Sumatra in September of 1944. Their destination was the notorious Pekanbaru Railroad. In one of the innumerable ironic tragedies of the war, the Japanese ship, which carried no markings to identify it as a POW ship, was torpedoed by the British sub HMS Tradewind with over 85% loss of life.

I'd be very grateful for any information that could help me to find living survivors to interview!

Thank you in advance for reading this.

Sincerely,

-Dan Putterman
Chevy Chase, Maryland, USA

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Seeking Info on Survivors of Junyo Maru Sinking Off Sumatra 14 Sept 1944 DMP 05/19/2014 05:40PM
Re: Seeking Info on Survivors of Junyo Maru Sinking Off Sumatra 14 Sept 1944 Adrian Clarkson 12/01/2016 09:24PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.