General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Chatham - February 1942
Posted by: Farrimond ()
Date: November 15, 2016 04:04PM

Good afternoon

I wonder if someone can help me with an issue close to my heart. I had tried to research this myself but I'm afraid I have run out of ideas.

My grandfather was invalided out of the RN. From my recollection of conversations this was due to his vessel being hit by a mine. But it could equally have been the result of an air raid. Certainly he received shrapnel injuries.

There are two dates within his service record: 25 February 1942 and 30 March 1942.

At the time he was serving with HMS Pembroke I, a Chatham-based shore base and his record suggests that he went to the RN Hospital Chatham for surgery.

I therefore assume that the incident took place in the vicinity of, or off the coast of, Chatham in or around February 1942.

Does anyone know of any u-boat laid mine or any other incident which could account for his injuries or know of any further avenues of exploration for me to research?

Regards

James

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Chatham - February 1942 Farrimond 11/15/2016 04:04PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.