General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-596 and Salamis base evacuation
Posted by: Lio ()
Date: November 21, 2016 07:39AM

Hello,

The crew of damaged by an air raid U 596 were forced to scuttled her and join the general retreat through Athens.

Nice description at [www.ewnor.de]

...Nach Räumung des Stützpunktes, den englische Flugzeuge zwischenzeitlich total zerstörten, wurden wir mit einem Motorschiff nach Saloniki gebracht. Von dort aus mit der Bahn bis Skopje und dann zu Fuß bis Sarajevo. Mit der Kleinbahn bis Brod und von dort zur Entlausung am 24. 12. 1944 nach Agram. Weiter am 25.12. nach Tilly an der slowenischen Grenze zur Einkleidung in feldgraue Marineuniform. Mit dem Zug über Graz nach Wien und von dort über Prag nach Berlin - Kiel - Plön. In Lübeck war ich am Silvesterabend 1944/45. Im Balkan Montenegro habe ich als Infanterist bei der "Gefechtsgruppe Fahnenschreiber" Polizeitruppe, fünf Sturmtage und drei Nahkampftage bescheinigt erhalten.In Plön wurde ich in blau eingekleidet und erhielt 28 Tage Sonderurlaub, den ich sofort antrat und nach Osterode/Ostpreußen fuhr, wo meine Frau in der Roonstraße 25 wohnte. Am 14. 01. 1945 wurde meine Tochter Evelin geboren...

From google translator I get (it would be nice if you have something to add)

... After clearing the base, which completely destroyed English aircraft in the meantime, we were taken to Thessaloniki by a motor ship. From there take the train to Skopje and then walk to Sarajevo. With the Kleinbahn to Brod and from there to the delousing on 24. 12. 1944 to Agram. Continue on 25.12. To Tilly on the Slovenian border for the dressing in field gray navy uniform. By train via Graz to Vienna and from there via Prague to Berlin - Kiel - Plön. In Lübeck I was on New Year's Eve 1944/45. In Balkan Montenegro, as an infantryman, I received a certificate of the police group, five storm days, and three close combat days.In Plön I was dressed in blue and received a special holiday for 28 days, which I immediately went to Osterode / East Prussia, where my wife lived in Roonstrasse 25. On 14 January 1945 my daughter Evelin was born...

Did you have any further informations for this U-boat crew adventure or salamis base evacuation and return trip?

Thanks in advance

PS: at [www.ewnor.de] U 596 mentioned by mistake as U-593 (Kommandant Kolbus)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-596 and Salamis base evacuation Lio 11/21/2016 07:39AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.