General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: UC - 39
Posted by: Michael Lowrey ()
Date: May 05, 2017 03:29AM

Thorstein,

You're correct, the data are pretty much all about this specific propeller. Propeller markings are the preferred means of identifying WWI U-boat wrecks. Each yard though marked their props differently. I also have a photo in my files of one of the props from the Blohm & Voss-built UB 78, which matches closely to what's on UC 39's propeller. The key fifference is that UB 78's prop lacks the Verkleinert and the second D. line.

B&V = Blohm und Voss, the yard that built UC 39.
D. = Duchmesser = diameter
Steig. = Steigung = pitch
Proj. Fläche = area
Propeller Bronze = material used
B.B.Schiffsschr. 4C. = B.B. = port Schiffsschr = Schiffsscraube = ship's propeller. No idea what 4c. stands for. (On UB 78's starboard prop, this has 1. B.)
U.C. 39 -- name of the ship.
VERKLEINERT 1916.15.12 -- date the propeller was modified/reduced in diameter (from 1.29 meters to 1.26 meters)
D. = diameter again, but now 1260

Why was this prop modified from 1.29 meters in diameter down to 1.26 meters? Good question, I don't have a good answer. It could be because experience suggested that slightly smaller props worked better on UCIIs or perhaps slightly less powerful engines were fitted. The information in Gröner in any case suggests that a range of different propeller sizes were used on UCIIs.

Best wishes,
Michael

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
UC - 39 Smilingsawfish 05/03/2017 03:55PM
Re: UC - 39 freddy01 05/04/2017 07:41AM
Re: UC - 39 t-geronimo 05/04/2017 10:11PM
Re: UC - 39 Michael Lowrey 05/05/2017 03:29AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.