General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-505 capture pic....
Posted by: rynegold ()
Date: May 12, 2017 07:20PM

This is a picture I got from a fellow here in town who's Dad was a US Coast Guard serviceman in and after WW2. I bought several things from him and he gave me this pic:

U-505 capture by rynegold, on Flickr

An enlargeable pic here:

[www.flickr.com]

He said his Dad was one of the men who accompanied the U-505 on it's return to the U.S. He was stationed in New Jersey and that's his dad top left. Can anyone identify ANYTHING in this pic that would tell you that is a U-boat they're posing on? I see the shoulder stock to the 20mm there under the edge of the tarp but anything else? The MP-40, MP44 and the Walther flare gun could have easily been aboard I think. I got two pairs of WW2 CG dungarees form him and that's what started all this. So w/all the secrecy about this boat, and the long time it stayed out of site, I find it hard to believe Navy or GI personal didn't loot it of weapons such as these! This pic says it made it all the way back to the U.S. w/these (and ostensibly other treasures as well) in tact?

Comments appreciated...

regards, mitch

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-505 capture pic.... rynegold 05/12/2017 07:20PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.