General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
The sinking of HMS/M Syrtis
Posted by: William Dobson ()
Date: June 26, 2018 01:30PM

HMS/M Syrtis
Billy Dobson
Barrie Downer (barrie@downer55.freeserve.co.uk)

Barrie,

I've just returned from a two-week cruise on a ship called The Independence of the Seas (Royal Carribean Line), a huge 'Target' Ha! At one of the mealtimes, my wife and I were sat next to an old lady in a wheelchair with one of her daughters, we got talking as you do and I gave mention to me being a retired Submariner, she got hold of my hand over the table and told me that her father was a wartime Submariner serving on HM Submarine Syrtis, that he was a Leading Seaman, his name George Charles Ashton, service No J107365, his job onboard was that of a "Scratcher" and they were towing a midget Submarine which they lost (towline parted), but unfortunately she believes that they hit a mine, all hands lost at sea off Bodo, Norway, March 30th, 1944. I'm going to try and find out more for her if possible, I gave her a Poppy Badge with a raised set of Dolphins on the flowery part, and I gave her daughter my set of Dolphins off my Black Tie Dinner Suit and promised to send her other two siblings a set of Dolphins each also.

To that end, would you have any other details on the Syrtis? If so, I would be grateful if you could forward the information on to me for her and her family.

Billy Dobson.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
The sinking of HMS/M Syrtis William Dobson 06/26/2018 01:30PM
Re: The sinking of HMS/M Syrtis t-geronimo 06/26/2018 04:43PM
Re: The sinking of HMS/M Syrtis phil morgan 06/27/2018 07:31PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.