General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Patrol Database: U-boats near Ivigtut, Greenland
Posted by: JoeB ()
Date: August 01, 2018 08:58PM

Hi, I'm not actually brand new to the forum, posted a few times years back, I guess my ID expired so I re-registered. Anyway I've used this site's great data resources from time to time all along, thanks. But I have a question.

Is there any way to search the database of U-boat patrols other than "Find U-boats on patrols on this date"?

What I want do specifically in this case is check all the positions in the database to see how close any U-boat came to the cryolite mine at Ivigtut, Greenland. As some may know, the US Coast Guard was charged with protecting this mine after the German occupation of Denmark in 1940. It was the only natural source in the world of cryolite, key to aluminum manufacture (synthetic cryolite was also used to some extent then, and 100% is synthetic now). I know the Germans later on considered bombing this mine with long range a/c (~1,800 land miles from bases in Norway) though never did. I wonder if any U-boat ever reconnoitered the area.

But I think in many other cases of historical research one might know a position or position/time, at which Allied forces thought a U-boat was present or might come, and want to see if one was really there. If the daily positions in the datbase could be searched it would be an even more powerful research tool.

Is there any way to do this? It seems one might do search by the source code of the web pages for the notations eg. 'Position on this day: 64.57, -7.22'. I tried this with some free code-search engines but it didn't work. However I'm far from a computer whiz, maybe someone has further suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Patrol Database: U-boats near Ivigtut, Greenland JoeB 08/01/2018 08:58PM
Re: Patrol Database: U-boats near Ivigtut, Greenland ARANTALES 08/05/2018 12:52PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.