General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-boat found search for USS Sturgeon in 196
Posted by: Axel ()
Date: August 25, 2001 09:24AM

<HTML>After the atomic driven submarine USS Sturgeon went missing in 1968 on its way from the Med to the U.S. east coast a wide search for the wreck with remote controlled vessels took place. According to my knowledge the wreck of a German WW II U-boat was also found in deep water some distance off the U.S. coast (100 miles ?) to the west of Norfolk. So this applies not to the wellknown wrecks just under the coast. Sometimes this wreck is identified as U 548, which is evidently wrong, although this boat was recorded for a long time as lost on the 30 April 1945 in the area. However, I have never heard any details about the discovery since then. Perhaps the story was covered in more detail in the U.S. than here in Europe. I am almost sure that some video footage will be available because the wreck of the USS Sturgeon, later found in the Eastern Atlantic, was filmed also.

So, if anybody knows more about this wreck discovery, please let us know. </HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-boat found search for USS Sturgeon in 196 Axel 08/25/2001 09:24AM
RE: U-boat found search for USS Scorpion in 196 Michael Lowrey 08/25/2001 10:51AM
RE: U-boat found search for USS Scorpion in 196 AL Wellman 08/25/2001 04:07PM
RE: U-boat found search for USS Scorpion in 196 Axel 08/25/2001 05:20PM
RE: U-boat found search for USS Scorpion in 196 Tim 08/26/2001 03:39AM
RE: U-boat found search for USS Scorpion in 196 AL Wellman 08/26/2001 11:43PM
RE: U-boat found search for USS Scorpion in 196 Michael Lowrey 08/27/2001 04:22AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.