General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Which U-boat did my dad's Wellington spot?
Posted by: WILKO ()
Date: April 03, 2019 01:42PM

On 10th January 1944 my father was one of the crew of an RAAF Wellington bomber. At 17.06 hours they sighted a u-boat on the surface of the Mediterranean.

They were flying about five miles north of Denia, Spain, over the sea. At first they could see only a wake about seven miles from them (I don't know in which direction) and as they got to about two miles from the wake they could clearly see a u-boat diving. They say there was no doubt it was a u-boat. They went in to attack.

They were too late to drop depth charges but did drop smoke flares and then signalled the position to two nearby destroyers. They circled the location for some time.

I am researching my dad's war history and I am keen to find out which u-boat this was. Examining your daily positions there seems to be about three possible candidates but my best guess is currently u-343. Can any of you clever folks on here confirm to me with accuracy the u-boat, please? Also, was there any record in the KTB?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Which U-boat did my dad's Wellington spot? WILKO 04/03/2019 01:42PM
Re: Which U-boat did my dad's Wellington spot? phil morgan 04/04/2019 12:44PM
Re: Which U-boat did my dad's Wellington spot? WILKO 04/06/2019 09:51AM
U-1273 Olaf Olsen 04/21/2019 07:55PM
Re: Which U-boat did my dad's Wellington spot? ARANTALES 04/07/2019 06:35PM
Re: Which U-boat did my dad's Wellington spot? WILKO 04/17/2019 11:36AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.